Friday, April 17, 2009

Courtney's Closet & Birds of a Feather

OK, I admit it, I have been hoarding a few things even thought I have been trying not too. Specifically my Rockabilly Specialty Paper and some of the rub-ons from the hand drawn bundle. The time has come to use some of these things, so......

The inspriation for the first card came from Courtney's Closet. See little Courtney there below, isn't she cute! Every week she models some adorable outfit and you can use it to inspire your creations, what a great idea! I have also been wanting to do one of Libby's Challenges- http://stampinlibby.blogspot.com/2009/04/from-courtneys-closet-39-inspiration.html for a while and fortunately for me, they are the same colors as my Rockabilly DSP so I though- what the heck, lets use that paper!




I made the card card using one of my hand drawn stamps. Obviously I wanted to focus on the cherries from Rockabilly so I made the cupcake have a cherry on top. I used a real red brad and colored in my own stem. Honestly, this card took me way too long, but I couldn't get my layout right. I am not 100% pleased but I conquered my fears and used my goods! :)

Here is my second card and this one I love! These little owls are so cute aren't they?! They are from the hand drawn bundle rub-ons. The sad part is I have no more :(, but I suppose the sacrafice was worth it.

To make this card, I started with my green card stock and rubbed on the brown owl. Then I rubbed on part of the white owl masking what I didn't want so it looks like they are standing together, sorta cuddling. I then took the white owl eyes and swapped them. The reasoning for this is that if you have owl friends, it makes sense for one to wink, but not both, so the eyes on whitey there got swapped around and I only used part of the winking eye. Now the fun part is that what was left over from that owl, looks like a leaf, so I saved it- fun right! Once I had my owls, I cut the green to 4X4- wanted to make sure my little owls were centered. Then I took my green tea (retired) dsp and scissor circle cutter and cut out a window (this paper is 4.25X4.25). Glued 'em together and mounted on 4.5X4.5 barely blue CS. I finished off with a tag (lots of tags die) where I rubbed on Birds of a Feather (hard to see) and used some of the ballet blue buttons from my fresh favorites II button set.

So the tips for the day are:

  1. You don't always have to use the entire rub-on, you can pick and choose parts!

Hope you enjoyed!

2 comments:

Betty J Schaub said...

2 cute cards!!!

Libby Hickson said...

I love both of these Katie!! And way to go USING your stash!! I know all too well how hard that can be at times... :-) Thanks so much for playing along this week!