Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Decision Time

See update below from 7/2/13...

If you read my post on sunday, you might remember that the more time I spend away from card making the longer it takes me to get back into the swing of things.  I also mentioned a card that took me about 2.5 hours to makes and the sad part is that I am not entirely sure I like the final product.  However, if I want to enter my cards into the challenges I made them for, I need to get them up...so it is decision  time.  I've decided even though I am not totally thrilled with these cards, I'll share and tell you what I do (and don't) like about them. 

The first Card is for the Fusion Card Challenge as well as the Lawnscaping Challenge.  For Fusion, I picked up the light to dark gradient from Jackies sketch and tried to make that apparent in my skyline and clouds.  I then followed with the colors from Lesley's photo.  Honestly, the photo is what really threw me, to many items and colors to find inspiration in!  I wanted to focus on owls but had noticed that one of the DT already did and didn't want to simply follow suit.  So I went with the birdies in the LF Home Sweet Home set.  The Lawnscaping Challenge calls for dimension.  though you may not be able to see it since I didn't take a phgot from an angle, it is there.  I am also not thrilled about the background cardstock but I just couldn't find the *right* thing but decided to accept it and not spend 3 more hours on it.  Overall it is OK, but certainly not the card I envisioned.

The second card is also for the Lawnscaping Dimension Challenge as well as The Play Date Cafe challenge.  I loved the colors of this challenge and the vines really grabbed me.  I feel like my interpretation might be a little too obvious but I liked the way the background looked and I had fun stamping to to make the color gradients of the orange and green.  I am not so sure about the forefront though... I am definitely not a champ when it comes to CAS cards, so the front just feels bare to me.

UPDATE/ETA 7/2/13:  I have decided to enter this into the Moxie Fab World Tuesday Trigger- A scene in tangerine because...well the colors are perfect!  They match perfectly and the combo is just perfect, love it!  I wear these colors all the time BTW. :)   I am often a little fearful of playing in the MFW challenges because I know there are better designers out there, but why not right?!  You should come play along too!

Please drop by again!







18 comments:

wienerhoneymooners said...

I love the polka against the misted blue! So clever! Thanks for posting these!

cm said...

I applaud both your cards; they're delightfully pretty! Your struggles with white space (although I see no issues here at all!!) certainly reflect my own. Try as I might, my white space attempts seem always to fall flat, but as you noted, it's about practice, practice and practice! You're talented and creative - know that! Super cards and a 'from-the-heart' post!!
c

~amy~ said...

I love them BOTH...Your fusion card is absolutely DARLING...the birds are perfect.

Your PDCC card is fantastic...love the stamping...wow.

Jocelyn Olson said...

Wha??? I think these are both fantastic cards, and I don't see anything wrong with them. I can see the dimension on the Home Sweet Home card and your clouds are fabulous (I can never do decent clouds, so I'm especially impressed). I love the happy wishes card--great background, great texture on the butterfly. I think you nailed the challenge. :)

Kara Lynne said...

I love your heart-felt post. You are not alone! It stinks sometimes when our product is not rewarding, but always remember that the process is our hobby. You have a great eye for design!

Virginia L. said...

Wow, Katie! Your cards are brimming with creativity! I actually love your first card! The colors really pop. Those birdies are so cute against the clouds! And your interpretation on the 2nd one is spot on! I love the stamping on the background! The color variation on the butterfly is fabulous, too! I can go on and on ...We are all hard on ourselves sometimes! I am glad that you share these because they are outstanding in my eyes!

Pamela said...

Oh I love both cards <3 I love the clouds in your LF challenge card and the rainbow background of the second card.

Don't worry too much about failed attempts. Everyone has them :) When you finish a card and you're not satisfied with it, chuck it in a "reject" bin. Then go back to the bi once in awhile and you'll figure out what you need to change :)

Kelly Griglione said...

Sigh, I know it's hard when you spend a long time on a card and you're not at all thrilled with the results. A lot of times I'll set it aside and try to think of something to change over the next couple days. But, having said all that, I think your cards are wonderful here! Especially your cloud background. It really stands out. So glad you decided to link it up to the FUSION challenge!

Chunyuan said...

Both cards are beautiful. I agree with Virginia that we are hard on ourselves. It always takes me a long time to make a card. 2.5 hours is normally for me. I am a really slow crafter.

jenn shurkus said...

WOW i love these creations :) both are fabulous! thank you for playing a long with us at lawnscaping!

Tamara said...

Love both of your cards!! Thanks for playing with us at Lawnscaping :)
xx Tamara

Lyndal said...

LOVE your cloudy sky Katie! So glad you joined in the fun experimenting @ FUSION - hope to see you again soon :)

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

How could you NOT like these cards??? I LOOOOOOOOOVE that sky you created! I LOVE the extra little ribbon and the little birdhouse-- SUPER DUPER ADORABLE! LOVE!

And the second card is super cute too-- LOVE your use of colors! LOVE that embossed butterfly! FAB!

Lynn said...

I totally know what you mean about a card seeming "Bare"! I have that feeling every time I make a CAS card. Don't worry though, yours is perfect! I love everything about it :) Thanks for playing along with us at The Play Date Cafe!

Wida said...

I so get what your saying. When I spend time away from my craft room it gets harder to go back in there! I think the execution of the clouds is pure art! So that means you gotta stick with it! I decided after about a year of blogging that I wouldn't post anything I didn't love , which means there is a lot of no post days on my blog but I'm happier for it.

Unknown said...

I really struggle with CAS too! Always feels like something's "missing." But to me this card is totally adorable. You did a great job! The creative process is sometimes a stinker to wrangle, hugs!

Unknown said...

Wow this is awesome! I adore that little Lawn Fawn card! Perfect clouds and sweet scene.

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Katie! Thanks for linking this up to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)