Thursday, August 15, 2013

Doing the chicken dance!

I am running folks...running like a chicken with my head cut off these days, mostly at work.  I like to call it my chicken dance! ;)   I am hoping that I will get some respite soon.  Actually, I know I will, so I am not worried about it.  Meanwhile, down at the ranch....


...I've made this card for the Fusion Card Challenge #15 focusing on the lovely chalkboard portion of it and I accidentally matched the sketch too for a true FUSION! :)  I combined it with the colors from the ColorQ #202.  The colors made me want to use this Amercian Crafts set because the flower seemed just right.  My favorite part of this card is the May Arts Ribbon, the sharp colors and stripes jumps out me and says "HELLO, Look at me!!!!!!!"

So back to the farm... (BTW- did you notice these are great farm colors?!  Just an aside, but seriously, perfect!  Now I wish I had made a chicken card! HA!)  Did I ever tell you I grew up in Greenacres, WA? True story, it exists! ...And my name is Katie Brooks, but have also been called our Miss Brooks.  Remind you of any TV shows?  Even a spring chicken like me knows about these shows so you should too, but if not they were- Greenacres and Our Miss Brooks!  Too easy!  So all  of these farm/ranch references bring me to my Question of the Day- Have you ever spent any time on a farm?  If so, what was the most surprising thing you ever witnessed on that farm (e.g. seeing a chicken run around without a head...) and/or your favorite part?  Stacey- I expect a good answer from you girl! ;)


11 comments:

wienerhoneymooners said...

Nice Fusion entry, and you did a combo wit it???@!! Wow!

Holy COW Question of the day!
I grew up on a small farm in a little town of Colville Eastern Wa until I was 9. Dogs, chicken, some sheep, a head of cows and a field of wheat. We were friends with the local butchers (they had tons of horses and a girl my age - believe it or not I am still in touch with) and dairy farmers of the area. I have seen everything. What you mentioned and more..

I will say a highlight was that my step dad let me drive a big ole columbine and it was awesome. I also loved sitting in the back when the grain shoot was harvesting and it would fall on me and my bigger brother as we watched the deer in the distance and grasshoppers jump and fly all around us on hot summer days.

It was cool.

cm said...

Fabulous card; love those colours, and yes indeed, full on Fusion!! Pretty!
I spent oodles of time on my grandparents' farm in southern Manitoba when I was a kid (eons ago), and the memories are ONLY 1,000,000 X awesome! Playing in the hayloft, feeding calves and piglets, my grandmother's baking, my grandfather's patience when we *helped* with chores, the trips to the one room store to buy groceries, 'baby animals' to cuddle, picking saskatoons, swathing and haying. So fortunate to have the the best grandparents. Ever!! Missing them...Great question once again, and the reminiscing about the farm days, only too special!
c

Sylvia said...

What a fun card, Katie, love your chalk board! Yes, I lived on a farm when I first married. The funniest thing I remember is my 3 year old, Amy, being chased by our big roosters. She would fall on the ground belly first! the roosters would go away! We loved farm life, but that was a long time ago! Thanks for joining us at the colourQ.

LeAnne said...

What a fun Fusion creation! Love the chalkboard look, and I agree, these are great farm colors. I, too, grew up on a farm, but while you're growing up there, you just think it's normal, so I don't have any specifically amazing memories...just fun to be able to run around, catch lightning bugs, go swimming in the pond....stuff like that. I do remember looking out my door one summer night and seeing the sky ablaze...I ran & called my dad and he told me the neighboring farmer's barn was on fire. That was SCARY! Thanks for the gentle nudge to get me walking down memory lane! And thanks so much for playing with the CQC colors this week!

Lyndal said...

FAB card Katie - cool chalkboard technique! So glad you joined in the fun @ FUSION, hope to see you again soon :)

Stacey Schafer said...

love this fantastic card, Katie! hmm...on the farm...everyday is spectacular, it seems! I'd say the most surprising thing I've witnessed on the farm is new animal life coming into world! just this week...a litter of puppies were born on Monday, litter of piglets born today!

Ren-Yi said...

aww this is a cute card. i love it the paper pieced flowers. thanks for the follow over on my site :) feel so tickled...

Virginia L. said...

This is lovely, Katie! Love the chalkboard effect! Great job on taking this to the challenge! I don't think I had ever spent time on the farm...Yup, I am so sheltered :)

~amy~ said...

Check out your super fun card....love the fab colors!

Oh, I'm so NOT a farm girl even though I live in the burbs. chickens scare me...kind of like Canadian Geese....but my cousin has a mini farm of Alpaca's...does that count?

Geri said...

Hey, Katie...yes I DID grow up on a small farm! Let's just say I'm happy to report I saw NO headless chickens running around!!! Love your card and the color combo with the black/chalkboard look! Hope to see you again at FUSION!!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful card! LOVE the chalkboard mat surrounded by those lush colors. Fab!

Ahem...Barb grew up on a farm!!! There was a huge old barn which at night was the scariest place ever. Scared the bejeezuz out of me! It was a produce farm. We had some animals but mostly for pets. The coolest thing that happened was when I went out to pick raspberries early one morning and a black bear was halfway down the row eating some herself! She was sat on her bum holding her back paws with her front paws...rocking back and forth...every time she rocked back she leaned her head and grabbed a raspberry...then grunted her approval. I left her to enjoy the berries. So cute!!!