Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Long live the 1980's


Do you remember the 1984 movie called Splash?  It was a soppy rom-com with Daryl Hannah and Tom Hanks.  I was 5 when it came out and probably watched it a few years after.  I loved mermaids then and it was likely my dream to be Daryl Hannah in that movie with her long blond crimped hair and and orange tail. I mean who DIDN'T want to be a beautiful mermaid?! 

Alas, I may not have become a mermaid, but at least I can stamp and color them... and that movie is what inspired today's card.  Not sure when or how, but at some point, I got it in my head that these cute Lawn Fawn mermaids needed to be paired with this cute bathtub to make the scene.



To make this card I started with the background.  I used a Heffy Doodle Bubble Waves Stencil with some distress inks.  My background is a little blotchy (boo), but that will never happen again now that I have my Trinity Blendability Brushes!!!  Moving past that imperfection, I stamped my images from Lawn Fawn colored them with my Copics.  I like it when bubbles have that iridescent colored quality that they get when light strikes them, so I added a blue and peach.  I cut them out and then maneuvered them to make a set.  I had to cut the tail off and mount it seperately so it could hang over the end of the tub perfectly.  I stamped the sentiment, which is from a Craftin' Desert Diva's set.  I then mounted my bubbles and added some splashes around the scene.  I came back in with my white gel pen for some highlights.  Here is a close up.  



Despite a few imperfections, I think she is pretty darn cute.  Her spirit reminds me of a friend of mine, who is fun-loving, jolly and endures- which is why I gave it to her for her birthday. :)

While I can't say I am thrilled that certain 80's things are popular again... I can agree that they did, at least, have a few redeeming qualities... so thank you Daryl Hannah and Tom Hanks.  :)

Thanks for stopping and happy crafting!

2 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

Well I'm glad that thought did pop into your head because this is adorable! Fun background too!

~amy~ said...

Love the mermaid in the tub! Such a cute idea Katie!