Monday, April 22, 2013

What inspires you?

Helloooooo.  Today I wanted to start by asking you a question and that is... Where does your inspiration come from? Do you find it in everyday arrangements in the home?  Does it come from nature?  Photos of the family? Paper Crafts Mag?  Craft Stores? Pinterest? Blogs?  I find my inspiration for cards and scrapbook pages in all of these places and so many more.  For scrapbooking, I love it when I have a moment with my child or family and I think, "Oh, I could scrapbook that!"  The thoughts take over and I am thinking of papers, textures, ribbons, everything!  My husband likes to say I am, "Geeking out" when this happens. :)  When making cards, another inspiration fave of mine is trying to match the card to the personality or style of the person receiving it (if i know who it is going to).  It is so fun when they open and love it and say, "it is just so me!"

Now I'd like to share today's card and inspiration with you.  I don't think it is secret that I like challenges and that is where a lot of my inspiration comes from, so this shouldn't be a surprise but I was inspired by two challenges.  The first was over at Moxie Fab World- the Wonder of Watercolor Challenge.  I love the soft colors of watercolor paints and this really spoke to me and I thought it would be fun to try.  The second is this weeks Lawnscaping Challenge and the theme is the first question I asked you today- Inspired by- What inspires you?!  I thought it would be fun to combine these two!


I started making this card by taking some watercolor paper, ink pads and my watercolor brush and added some light colors across the background.  Just a hint, not too much, not too little, just enough to show the color and what the sky might look like.  Then I took my Lawn Fawn background stamp and rotated it to give the effect of breezes moving too and fro.  I stamped this in gray so as not to overwhelm the watercolors.  Next I paper-pieced the little airplanes from LF Just Flying By set, I LOVE These Planes!  The blue polka dot DP seemed to pop just enough from the watercolor.  I made my own dashed lines for flight path, just how I wanted them.  I added my sentiment from a Simon Says Stamp set that seemed to fit, some embellishments and other touches.  My favorite part is the heart, which is a wood chip from Lawn Trimmings (a different co. from LF that sells embellishments, washi and paper) and made it bright red.  I was inspired to do the heart from a card I saw way, way back on the LF blog, I can't even tell from who or how long ago.  Their's was done in paper, but it was just so cute that the plane was carrying the heart.  I love this added touch to the card b/c I feel like the red just POPs out at you. :)

I hope this has inspired you to do some crafting OR you find some other wonderful inspiration in your day. :) Thanks for flying by!

7 comments:

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

Fabulous card! + I know exactly what you mean about the breath thing you write about in your profile - I actually wrote Lenny this morning and said exactly that - wish I was a SAHM (-:
Anyway, thanks so much for sharing your card and playing with us at Lawnscaping, hugs, Karin

~amy~ said...

Oh lovin' this artsy card...I love how you've layered the watercolor paper on top of the polkas and then paper pieced the airplanes with the same polka paper. FAB work.

{Chrissie} said...

Just wow. What an amazing card! It is just fantastic!!!

Thanks for playing along with Lawnscaping!

Virginia L. said...

Beautiful job with the water-coloring! I love the effortless and simplicity of this card, Katie! Awesome entry all around!

Joe Shien Shien said...

Lovely card...! Beautiful color combo and love the background stamp so much.. Thank you for playing with us at Lawnscaping...

Yainea said...

So pretty! Love the soft background colors and the whole desing

Thank you so much for playing with us at Lawnscaping! :)

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Katie! Thanks for linking this up to the Wonder of Watercolor Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)